Big East, Brent Pease, by Matthew Manuri, Calvin Magee, Chad Morris, College Football, Dan Quinn, Dirk Koetter, Doug Woolard, Eddie Gran, Football, Gus Malzahn, james coley, Kirby Smart, Kliff Kingsbury, Mark Snyder, Matt Manuri, Matthew Manuri, Mike Bellotti, Skip Holtz, Skip Holtz fired, SoFloBulls Blog, SoFloBulls.com, Sonny Dykes, South Florida Bulls, South Florida Bulls Football, sports, Tom Herman, Tommy Bowden, University of South Florida Bulls, USF Bulls, USF Head Coach Hunt, Willie Taggart
| By Matthew Manuri | SoFloBulls.com |
After going 1-6 in the Big East & losing 9 of the last 10 games, South Florida HC Skip Holtz was fired Sunday afternoon. Alumni & Fans were calling for Holtz’s head after Saturday’s embarrassing 27-3 loss to Pitt at Raymond James on Senior Night.
South Florida has begun the search for a new Head Coach to replace Skip Holtz & here are names circulating via solid sources:
- Mark Snyder – Texas A&M DC – The 2011 South Florida DC gone Aggie is currently bolstering a 2012 record of 10-2 (6-2 SEC), & ranks 3rd in Points for, & T-56th in Points against. Not to mention being T-25th in Sacks with 31 & T-56th in INT’s with 11.
- Dan Quinn – Florida DC – 2012: 11-1, 7-1 SEC; 2011: 7-6, 3-5 SEC; 2010: 8-5, 4-4 SEC – I just don’t see this happening.
- Willie Taggart – Western Kentucky HC – 2012: 7-5, 4-4 Sun Belt; 2011: 7-5, 7-1 Sun Belt; 2010: 2-10, 2-6 Sun Belt. – I’m high on Taggart because of his Florida Roots (Bradenton Manatee HS) & his heavy presence in FL, specifically Tampa Bay, Recruiting Scene. Taggert was a QB for WKU in college, which led to him becoming an assistant coach under HC Jack Harbaugh’s Hilltoppers’. Taggert was the OC for the Hilltoppers’ 2002 D1-AA National Championship. Next, Taggert spent 2007-2009 as Stanford’s RB coach under HC Jim Harbaugh, where he developed Doak Walker Award winner Toby Gerhart (Minnesota Vikings). In 2010 Taggart became the WKU HC & is considered a top-coaching prospect for the numerous HC availabilities in several conferences. **UPDATE** SOURCES ARE REPORTING THAT TAGGART IS INTERVIEWING FOR THE POSITION THIS EVENING (12/4) IN NYC… WHERE AD WOOLARD JUST SO HAPPENS TO BE*** YES!!!
- Tommy Bowden – Formerly Clemson HC – Bowden’s head coaching record is 90-49, including an 18-4 record at Tulane and a 72-45 record at Clemson. Another Big name with experience equals a great fit. – Doubt this would be a good fit.
- James Coley – Florida State OC & TEs Coach – Coley has strong Florida ties being born & raised in Miami & played his HS Football for Miami Senior HS. Coley is known to be a phenomenal recruiter, reeling in big name recruits in 2010 & being named the ACC’s Top Recruiter 2010. Coley revived the tight end position for the Seminoles & finished the year ranked 3rd in both scoring & passing offense in 2011. No head coaching experience though. – I Hope the Department explores Coley; a lot of FSU coaches up for grabs with the departure of Mark Stoops.
- Eddie Gran – Florida State Associate HC, Special Teams, & RBs Coach – Gran is in his 26th season as a coach & third with FSU. In 2011, Florida State boasted the nation’s second-best special teams unit in 2011. – Same as Coley.
- Tom Herman – Ohio State OC & QBs Coach – Herman is in his first season at Ohio State as OC & QBs Coach. His offenses broke over 40 school records and in his second season the Rice Owls won 10 games and went to a bowl for the first time since 1954. Herman’s 2011 Iowa State offense put up 44 points in a triple-overtime win over Iowa and tallied 37 in a double-overtime upset of then-undefeated and No. 2 Oklahoma State. The offense averaged nearly 390 total yards per game.
- Calvin Magee – Arizona Co-OC & RBs Coach – Magee got his coaching start at USF as the TEs coach in 1996 & RBs coach from 1997-2000 under Jim Leavitt. Since coaching with the Bulls Magee has been an offensive coordinator at West Virginia, Michigan and the co-offensive coordinator at Pittsburgh and Arizona. He has a long career with Rich Rodriguez having coached with the spread-option innovator at West Virginia and Arizona. – This is really what I’m looking for – I true South Florida guy from back when. #1 Mark Stoops. #2 Calvin Magee.
- Sonny Dykes – Louisiana Tech HC– Under Dykes the Bulldogs finished 9-3, 4-2 WAC in 2012, 8-5, 6-1 WAC in 2011, & 5-7, 4-4 WAC for 2010 – I understand success, but I don’t see him as the right fit.
- Brent Pease – Florida OC – The Gators finished 11-1, 7-1 SEC in 2012, 7-6, 3-5 SEC for 2011, & 8-5, 4-4 SEC in 2010 – No Chance.
- Gus Malzahn – Arkansas State HC – Under Malzahn the Bulldogs finished 9-3, 7-1 Sun Belt in 2012, 10-3, 8-0 Sun Belt in 2011, & 4-8, 4-4 Sun Belt for 2010. Malzahn is said to be meeting with his old stomping ground for HC opening, Auburn. – Don’t know the program can afford Malzahn after the $2.5 million payout for Holtz ($500k/yr), but if we could he would be #3 on my list.
- Dirk Koetter – Atlanta Falcons OC – Under Koetter the Falcons have consistently been one of the NFL’s most explosive offenses. Led by Matt “Matty Ice” Ryan the Falcons have gone 34-10 over the last three seasons. In my opinion, USF needs the experience of an NFL coach to rebound quickly.
- Mike Bellotti – former Oregon HC – Bellotti led the Ducks to a 116-55, 72-43 PAC 12 from 1995-2008. Under Bellotti the Ducks appeared in 12 bowl games, including the 2002 Fiesta Bowl, & led the Ducks to 2 Pac 12 titles.
- Kliff Kingsbury – Texas A&M OC & QB Coach – First Year OC & QB’s Coach led Johnny Football & TAMU to a 10-2 Record, 6-2 SEC, in TAMU’s First year in the SEC.
- Kirby Smart – Alabama DC – Smart has been to numerous coaching spots, including the NFL, & has done a fantastic job as the Alabama DC from 2007-Present. Smart would be a HUGE get for the Bulls. Sources are reporting Smart is meeting with Auburn today.
- Chad Morris – Clemson OC & QBs Coach – Morris has been the OC & QBs coach for Clemson since 2011. Since becoming Clemson’s OC the Tigers have gone 20-6, 13-3 ACC. In 2012, the Tigers are 10th in Total Offense, 13th in Passing Offense, 32nd in Rushing, 8th in Total Points, & 6th in Points per Game. Morris is also said to be meeting with Auburn.
| By Matthew Manuri | SoFloBulls.com |